Wackemsearch

Jun 17, 2017

The Truth About Growing Mushrooms At Home

As much as I'd like to grow mushrooms, allow you to tell you of my own experiment with growing mushrooms many years ago.

Having no better place I grew them in the crawl space under my house as was recommended by the supplier of the spores. I did everything according to the directions and in about a month I had mushrooms-- thousands of mushrooms, tens of thousands of mushrooms, maybe even hundreds of thousands of mushrooms all growing under my house at the same time.

And I was... completely unprepared to deal with so many mushrooms.

I ate mushrooms, gave mushrooms away, sold a few mushrooms but mostly I put mushrooms in the compost pile.

And in just about 2 weeks all the mushrooms were gone as the weather had gotten warmer and the mushrooms had gone dormant for the summer.

I checked on my mushrooms regularly for weeks on end, kept the beds moist, but nothing ever happened. Eventually I forgot about the mushrooms.

One day in the Fall I came home from work only to discover a horrid smell had taken over my entire house. I mean it was bad.

The search began and eventually I looked under my house only to find I had mushrooms-- thousands of mushrooms, tens of thousands of mushrooms, maybe even hundreds of thousands of mushrooms all rotting under my house.

Problem is: Mushroom spores remain dormant until the temperature is around 68-72 F. Then they all pop up at once, grow for a week or two, make new spores, and die. So unless you have a cave, an air conditioned environment or climate that remains 68-72 F most of the year, growing mushrooms year 'round can be a real chore, if not impossible.

My mushrooms, my growing medium and all ended up in the compost pile.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...